7/29/11

Final Project

I decided to focus my final project on one of my favorite units in my class. I have done this for 3 years now, and it just gets better each time. I would like to add a digital component this year so I have created a wiki for my students to share their investigations on. It is called:

Please check it out! Be sure to look at the 2010-2011 Investigations page to see a slideshow of some of the students last year. Another fun aspect of this unit is sharing what we learned with several 4th grade classes. You can see a slideshow of that under the Spider Sharing page. It is a work in progress and I am sure it will change as students begin to edit it and I find out what the "kinks" are, but I am really excited because I think overall it will increase the quality of the unit as students see what has been done in the past and put their own spin on things!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool project! I really like the idea of picking a group of organisms (like spiders) and studying them in depth over some period of time (especially ones that are portable, accessible, common, and diverse!).

I also love the fact that the wiki mirrors what you're already doing by sharing with 4th graders (another great idea), but with a much larger audience. Good stuff!

-Scott

Mary said...

Very nice! The photos are guaranteed to motivate your students because the kids in them look like they are having fun! You may be interested in http://bugscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/
This is a site where you can send in a bug sample and researchers will put it on an electron microscope- then contact your class and they can see their bug and the researchers answer questions etc. You need to schedule it pretty far in advance I think- but you can schedule it.

Mrs. Tabor said...

Thank you Mary! I will have to check out bugscope, it would be great to see a SEM of a spider that was from our collecting.

Thanks for the feedback, Scott. Spiders are a great *free* organism to study. If you ever decide to do it let me know and I'll share what I have learned about this type of project so far.