7/9/11

Prezi and Creative Commons

In the true spirit of multi-tasking, I have attempted to complete an assignment for another class using Web2.0 tools. I am taking Teaching Inquiry in the Science Classroom (EDCI 580) and needed to create a weekly reflection (actually two weekly reflections in one). Since Prezi was an option, I decided to give it a try.

I found the navigation pretty easy. I used images that I found using the creative commons search engine that was shared with us last week. I like how a Prezi is more like a concept map and less linear like a powerpoint. I did struggle with creating my "path" because I couldn't undo a step without undoing them all, but that is probably just my inexperience.

There is also a feature that allows others to edit, so it would be a great way to have a group of students present their findings to the class. And speaking of, if you can prove you have an email address through an educational institution, you get a special EDU version of Prezi! Some issues I foresee in my school are:
  1. Students don't have their own school email accounts so they can't sign up for the educational version of Prezi,
  2. Requires Adobe Flash Player, which needs regular updates, which are not done remotely but rather on a case by case basis by the tech guy on request only, which basically means every computer will have to flash me a screen that says the site won't work and then I have to put in a service request and then wait for it to get done (so I would have to plan ahead several days to make this work).
However, I really like how the end product turns out and I will try my best to make it work in my classroom next year!


So here it is. I suggest you click on "MORE" and view it full screen. Be sure to play the video!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I couldn't get your Prezi to work- don't know if its my computer or something else. I do like your "recent pictures" gadget on your blog ( and the photos). How did you do this? This would be great to add to a class blog with photos of the students- I have found they enjoy seeing photos of themselves.

Mrs. Tabor said...

Thanks for the heads up, Mary. I changed the Prezi setting to Public so I hope that helps with the viewing problem.

As for the streaming pictures, it is a Picassa feature. If you create an album on Picassa, there is a choice on the right hand column that says "Link to this album." If you open that, you can then click on "Embed slideshow." A window will pop up that allows you to make size choice and choose autoplay features. It will give you some html code in the lower box which you would copy and then paste into your blog layout. In Blogger, you would do that under the "Design" tab.

I have also found that kids love to see pictures of themselves. If you are using images of students, you might need to get a release form signed as some parents might not be o.k. with that. I think it is more common for schools to have policies about that these days.

Mary said...

Thanks!